May 4, 2011

Vegan Tortilla Soup! (Great raw!)

Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Can you believe that I am doing an on-time theme recipe post?
Believe it or not I have two Latina friends who have birthdays on May 5th! I cant wait to meet them both for lunch....all though I am sure that the Mexican restaurant wont believe us when we tell them the two Latinas at the table both have birthdays on cinco de mayo!

I LOVE tortilla soup, but have never made my own. Now that I have my very own super new fancy smanshy food processor, I decided I should whip some up! This recipe uses all fresh ingredients and is very very tasty as a cold raw soup! I will be eating it that way this summer! Since it is still chilly here in Spokane, I could not resist warming it up a little and serving with some warmed corn tortilla strips.

When I bake I am a little more precise with measurements, but what I love about soups and stews is that you can totally get away with "pinch of this, dash of that" measurements....so play with your own seasonings and have fun!

Ingredients:
2 Tomatoes
1 handful sun dried toms
1/2 green bell pepper
2 carrots
1 small handful cilantro
2 Stalks of Celery
1 small clove garlic
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp lime juice
2-3 tbsp olive oil
Dash Sea Salt
Dash cumin
Dash chili powder
Small dash paprika
Dash cayenne pepper
1 can Black beans (optional)
Avocado (for garnish)
Corn Tortillas (cut into strips or whole)


1. Place the first 7 ingredients in food processor. Pulse until all dry ingredients are nicely diced.



2. Add water, lime juice and olive oil and process until smooth... (If you are using a blender, dice everything by hand and just throw it all in and blend away...it may take a little more water to get it going)



3. Add spices to taste, mixing them in as you go. If you are raw, you can stop here, just garnish with Avos and you are good to go!!

4. If desired, warm soup on stove top. This is when you can stir in black beans or any other additions you would like (corn, tortilla strips, tofu etc)


5. Serve and garnish with sliced Avocados!

YUM!

1 comment:

  1. I will be making tonight. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Always excited to hear your thoughts or have you share ideas!