May 16, 2011

Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies


If you have not figured it out yet I am kinda a fanatic when it comes to peanut butter and chocolate. I am sure that when I workout I sweat little molecules of PB and chocolate. My dear friend Emily and I got to take a little weekend trip to Seattle for a yoga training this past weekend so I decided I wanted to bake some treats to offer her brother and sister that we would be staying with, leave a little treat at home for Thor and also have a little sweet snack for the car ride. My only regret with these cookies is that I didn't bake more of them...Oh, and if you are wondering they are of course vegan, whole wheat and naturally sweetened, and oh so simple! This recipe is adapted from Oh She Glows.

Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/8 cup peanut butter (I used freshly ground natural PB, but use your fav!)
3/4-1 cup pure maple syrup
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond milk
Chunks of semi-sweet chocolate
Sea salt to Sprinkle on cookies after baking (if you are a salt fan)
**Depending on how dry or oily your PB is you may want to add a TBSP or two of olive or grapseed oil. Only need to do this if batter is a little dry **

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or tin foil. In a medium mixing bowl mix the flour, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a large bowl combine the peanut butter, maple syrup, milk and vanilla. Stir until combined. Pour the flour mixture over the peanut butter mixture and mix.
3. Shape dough in balls and use a for to flatten them onto the cookie sheet. (I have heard that if you refrigerate the dough for 30 mins before shaping it is easier, but I never have the time for things like that!)
4. Press chunk of chocolate into center of cookies. Sprinkle with salt if your a salty person... :)
5. Bake for 11 minutes at 350F and let cool for 5 minutes.

The best part about these cookies was that Emily's adorable little nieces asked for seconds!! YES! Kids will eat whole wheat, vegan, naturally sweetened treats if you bake them!! Woo Hoo!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Always excited to hear your thoughts or have you share ideas!