OK, so this is actually a Vegan Mac n Cheese recipe but I don't think calling it a knock off of Mac and Cheese is fair because its so darn good in its own right. Even if you are not vegan....bake this!
The recipe came from Angie at Oh She Glows, but of course I modified a few things just based on what I had in the house :)
- 1 medium Yukon gold potato peeled and chopped (about 1/4-1/3 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp mustard
- ~300-340 grams dry/uncooked Macaroni or other pasta (I used whole wheat penne)
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance or butter
- Fresh or dried parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Paprika, to garnish
1. In a medium sized pot, add the chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion and fill with water until just covered. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low-medium heat. Cook for about 15 minutes until tender.
Meanwhile, process 1 slice of bread until crumbs form in a food processor. Add in 1 tbsp of Earth Balance (or butter) and process until incorporated. Place in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Add your pasta to a medium sized pot and fill with water until the pasta is covered by about 1 inch or so. Bring to a boil and reduce to low, cooking for about 7 more minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Now assemble your cheese sauce ingredients (cashews, coconut milk, garlic, lemon, salt, pepper, mustard) and add just the cashews to food processor. Process until a fine crumb forms similar to corn meal. Now add in the rest of the cheese sauce ingredients and process until smooth.
4. Once the veggies are cooked, drain and add to cheese sauce mixture in food processor. Process until smooth.
In a large bowl, mix together your cheese sauce and drained + rinsed pasta. Scoop into your casserole dish and sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Now garnish with paprika and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 350F. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or dried parsley if you’d like.
Thor made the comment "it tastes like there is cream in it, but if its vegan it cant have cream right??"
I'm off to Seattle for a yogafit training! Yay! When I return lots of pics and Peanut butter kiss cookies!