March 11, 2011

Vegtastic Soup


I received an e-mail the other day saying that I was receiving a box a veggies and fruits on Thursday!! Oh yay, I had forgotten!....oh crud I had just bought fruit and veggies at the store! So the good news is that Thor and I will be eating A LOT of nutrients in the next few days!!

Thor has been pretty stressed at work lately and I always become a bit of a worry wort so I wanted to take the chance to make him a really healthy, comfort food style meal.

But alas, now I am stood in my kitchen, surrounded by random amounts of fruits and veggies and no recipes for incorporating all of them.... so I did what any budding culinary genius wannabe would do...threw things into a pot with some vegetable broth and crossed my fingers!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic, diced
1/2 Onion, diced
2 Carrots, sliced
2 Celery Stalks, sliced
8 cups veggie broth
2 Yukon gold potatoes, diced
1 yam, diced
3 leaves rainbow chard, cut into strips
huge handful spinach
2 Tomatillos
1 bunch basil, chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese *Omit if cooking vegan*
Black Pepper to taste

1. In a large saucepan, saute the onions and garlic in OO. When onions are tender add celery and carrots and continue to saute for about 5 minutes.
2. Pour in veg broth and add potatoes, yams, chard, spinach and tomatillos. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
3. Add basil, parm and pepper and let simmer for a couple more minutes.
4. Sprinkle on a little more cheese when served if you feeling crazy...

This is not a spicy or over-whelming soup by any means but the different flavors of the veggies are scrumptious. I LOVED the chard....why is it not in more recipes???
You will feel like a million bucks after a bowl (or two) of this little concoction!

And I know that Thor liked it because my tupperware of soup for my lunch today was mysteriously gone from the fridge this morning... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always excited to hear your thoughts or have you share ideas!