January 23, 2011

Clean the Cupboards Minestrone

Decided to switch things up and show you the finished product first.....



Last night I got to hang out with one of my favourite Italian families! Well one of my favourite families that happen to be Italian really.....they served up great food and great company... bliss!
You know I think the Italians got a lot of things right...wine, espresso, garlic, pasta, family, cannoli's.....all high on my list I can tell you that! So I thought this Sunday I would make Minestrone soup. One of my favourite things about soup and using the crock pot is its pretty hard to do anything wrong...I am going to share with you what I used to make this soup but really be flexible with whatever you want to use out of your fridge and cupboards!

Ingredients

8 Cups Veggie Broth
1 can diced toms
1 can kidney beans
3 handfuls (1 cup?) Blackeye peas
Huge Handful baby carrots, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1/2 yam, diced
1/4 onion, diced
1 big handful fresh baby spinach
2 handfuls of whole grain pasta (I used like 4 and it was too much!)
1/2 TBS Italian seasoning
Black pepper to taste

**I would also recommend a clove or two of garlic but the bf has been complaining about my liberal use of onion and garlic lately so I tried to tone it down... :)



Throw everything except the pasta into the magical wonderful crock pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 7-8 hours. Add pasta and cook on high for about 20 minutes. 


This is my mixture when I first put it all in the crock pot...



Bon Appetite!

Lots a veggies, fiber, protein, vit c, vit K and iron and vegan friendly!

Oh and my fav part.....leftovers!!
*If you freeze the pasta will expand so just be ready with more veggie broth when you defrost*

2 comments:

  1. Samantha, I really think you ought to get Safeway on your Friends List. I am sure they would hire you on the spot to be a Home Economist for them. The nicer stores have a gal with your talents developing good meals that use their products. Your presentations and ideas are wonderful, and are giving them free advertising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patty. You can tell I shop at safeway huh?? I will look into that...

    How is your blog coming along??

    ReplyDelete

Always excited to hear your thoughts or have you share ideas!