July 22, 2011

Cheezy Hummus- Vegan and D'lish!



Dipping is just fun. Whether you are dipping into a pool, being dipped on the dance floor or dipping veggies - fun is the outcome!

This cheezy hummus will have you trying to find all sorts of different foods in your house to dip! I haven't tried it but I am certain it tastes GREAT in pitas and wraps too!

Cheezy Hummus

3/4 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2-3 garlic cloves, to taste
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup cooked chickpeas
2 tbsp Tahini
1-1.5 tsp kosher salt , or to taste
1/2 tsp- 1 tsp chili powder
Freshly Ground black pepper & your desired dried or fresh herbs
Water to thin out, if desired


In a food processor, process cashews until a fine crumble mixture is achieved. Add all other ingredients and process away until nice and smooth.

Serve with a sprinkling of olive oil and chili powder.






I am not technically vegan, but I would have to say that my diet is 90%+ vegan. I have done a lot of research into nutritional needs as a vegan and the only thing that seems to possibly be missing is B12.

B12 primarily comes from earth and dirt- it is in animal products since animals eat the grass and dirt and B12 therefor gets stored in their system. Since we put a focus on making sure we eat washed fruits and veggies- non-animal product eating humans can miss out on the B12.

I have found a few sources of B12 that I really love...

1) Seaweed- nori and dulce are a fav in my diet. I also like LOVE the multi-green Kombucha drink that contains algae and 20% of my daily B12 per serving!

2) Nutritional Yeast - this deactivated yeast has a creamy and cheesy flavor. It is a complete source of protein and contains multiple B vitamins including B12! Great in this hummus, sprinkled on popcorn or in making vegan "cheese" sauces.




The weekend is almost here! I am looking forward to sunshine, bike rides and some time celebrating a 5 year anniversary with my beau! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

1 comment:

Always excited to hear your thoughts or have you share ideas!