April 4, 2011

Power Granola

I have been in a bit of a breakfast rut lately. I eat a whole grain English muffin with natural peanut butter every day. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my toasted muffin with PB...but I started thinking that maybe I should switch things up a little. So, on my next shopping trip I perused the granola options. To get some good, organic, naturally sweetened, high protein granola was so crazy expensive!!!! So I decided to make my own!

I found the base for this recipe at YumUniverse, and of course made a few modifications. This granola is organic, high in protein, naturally sweetened, vegan, easily made raw, and most importantly....delicious!



Ingredients:
3/4 cup, organic pumpkin seeds (soaked for 4-8 hours)*
1 cup, organic almonds, roughly chopped (soaked for 4-8 hours)*
1/3 cup organic flax seed, freshly ground
1 cup, organic shredded coconut
2 cups organic, rolled oats
1 tbsp organic vanilla extract
1 Scoop hemp seed protein
1 TBSP Sweetener, optional (agave, honey, brown sugar...whatever! :) )
1 cup dried berries
1 cup raisins

* Nuts and seeds do not need to be soaked but it does aid with the digestion of them if you do, especially if using raw nuts and seeds. If you do soak, I do recommend either dehydrating them or roasting in the oven with the coconut to add a little extra crunchiness and flavor to your granola.

**To make this granola raw, just select all raw ingredients and dehydrate until granola is golden brown.**

1. Preheat oven to 250. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl except for dried fruit. Press flat onto two cookie sheets.
2. Bake in over for 50-60 mins or until granola is golden brown.
3. Toss granola with dried fruit.


Enjoy a bowl with some almond or coconut milk!
Store granola in a airtight container.



 
Just a heads up....tomorrow I will be posting a delicious whole wheat vegan chocolate chip and coconut cookie recipe! It is so yummy and easy, I cant wait for you to try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always excited to hear your thoughts or have you share ideas!