September 11, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Last week I posted a question to my facebook friends. I told them I had a little social gathering to attend this weekend and if they thought I should bring my cold pasta salad or a roasted red pepper hummus. As I am sure you have intelligently detected the hummus won!



I must admit - I like hummus but I don't LOVE it. It is one of those things that when it is in front of me I will eat it and enjoy it but if its in the fridge then I might forget its there until a month or so later and find it a bit moldy (not that that's ever happened....).  So how do I feel about this particular hummus?Well lets say that I have eaten it with carrots, pita bread, with a spoon and even put it on my toast this morning for breakfast. I don't think the hummus is going to be around to see another day, let alone a month.

First off huge shout out to Angie at Oh She Glows for sharing her hummus recipe!

The trickiest part of this hummus (and it is so much easier than it looks) is roasting the red bell peppers. I started with 3 large peppers. 

1. Core and seed your bell peppers- then cut in half. Using your hand squish them on to the counter so they flatten out a bit.



2. Place you bell peppers on a tin foil covered cookie sheet/baking pan. Broil on high for about 20 minutes. 


3. Keep checking the peppers- you want the skins to look nice and black like this. Don't freak out -they are not burnt!!!!


4. Seal the peppers up in the tin foil for another 15-20 minutes and let them take a nice little sauna in there. (While you are waiting you can prepare the rest of your hummus ingredients)


5. Peel off the skins of the peppers - easy peasy!


6. Dice up the peppers! 

Your now ready to whiz up that hummus!!

Ingredients:

2 garlic cloves
1 can garbanzo beans, 2 tbsp liquid reserved and set aside
3/4 cup roasted red peppers
1/4 cup tahini
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
2 Tbsp reserved chickpea liquid (or water)
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste 
1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
 Paprika- for garnish


1. Put everything in a food processor except cayenne, salt and paprika. Process until smooth.
2. Add salt and cayenne to taste.
3. Serve- garnished with chopped roasted red peppers and paprika.




This counts as lunch right??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always excited to hear your thoughts or have you share ideas!