February 2, 2012

Holiday Soup

I can not believe that I have not blogged this soup yet. This is my go-to gloomy day soup. This is the soup that every time I make it Thor says "This is really good soup." (I think he forgets that he has had it before... ?!?)

The recipe is from one of my favourite bloggers Angie over at Oh She Glows. I am sure that she would be happy to know that her recipe has become a staple in my kitchen and that I am now sharing it with you!

This is the "Holiday Soup" because it contains spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and curry. I know you are questioning this, but somehow it all just works. I normally provide very generous measurements of these spices. Your house will smell divine and you will wish you had made a double batch. The soup freezes well so don't be shy about going ahead and doing just that.... 


Holiday Soup

Ingredients:

1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup red quinoa, uncooked (I used the regular white because its what I had, be I recommend red)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 vegetable bouillon cube 
6 cups water, boiled
One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1.5-2 cups cooked black beans (about one 15oz can, rinsed)
1.5 tsp good-quality curry powder
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 cups baby spinach leaves, well rinsed and roughly chopped
1/2 salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions
1. Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent. Add the chopped carrots, chopped zucchini, and minced garlic. Continue to sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
2. Place your bouillon cube into a medium sized bowl. Boil 6 cups of water and pour over the bouillon cube. Stir well to dissolve. Add bouillon mixture, tomatoes, red quinoa, black beans, and spices + seasonings. Bring to a boil and then simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Add the roughly chopped spinach, stir well, and cover. Simmer on low for about 15-35 minutes. The longer you cook it the more the flavours will develop. Taste test and adjust seasonings if necessary. 



Serve with some warm bread and even maybe a side salad and you have yourself a hearty and healthy meal. You don't even need to tell your family what amazing super foods the quinoa and spinach are....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always excited to hear your thoughts or have you share ideas!