February 19, 2013

South of the Border Rice Salad

I am seriously missing the flavours of summer. I think this winter is harder for me than ever before because last summer was my first year growing my own edibles.... to go from eating fresh from your garden tomatoes, basil, cilantro, blueberries and more to the more tasteless store bought veggies of the winter variety is a fairly rough transition..... 

But hey - the countdown to starting some seedlings indoors has begun.....

A couple of foods still seem to be attainable in the winter and pack the great flavours of their summertime brothers. Lime and cilantro are two friends I can count on to whisk me into a summery daydream.


South of the Border Rice Salad



I mixed up this salad in less than 10 minutes one day just using what I had on hand. I happened to have some leftover cooked rice in the fridge so I used that.... the following weekend I made the same dish but with quinoa instead of rice... both were fab!

Ingredients
11/2 cup cooked brown rice (or quinoa)
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 cup black beans
1 large avocado, diced
1 cup tomatoes, diced
1/2 small sweet onion, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Zest  and juice of 1 lime
Fresh ground pepper and sea salt to taste

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together. If storing, make sure the avocado gets its share of the lime juice to help prevent browning.



In other news.... my ZumbAtomic class is in full swing at The Peak in Hayden! I will soon be starting a couple of additional classes through Hayden Parks and Rec also. I am having a blast with this classes and learning a lot by interacting with all these new young personalities....

Here is a lil video sneak peak of the first class!!




Stay warm and eat citrus fruits - they taste great this time of year and are sunshine to the body!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always excited to hear your thoughts or have you share ideas!